Friday, August 17, 2012

Roadtripping Sabah




My friend Aurelia arrives tomorrow. I promised her that she would see Sabah, and so we shall: I'm dragging her straight from the airport into the car and off on a one-week drive around Sabah. Literally, around. South to visit a colleague in tiny Nabawan village, then through the wilderness of the Maliau Basin on a dirt road to the cities of Tawau and Lahad Datu in the east. Into the rainforest and mud volcanoes of the Tabin Wildlife Reserve, and up to the enormous Gomantong Caves on the Kinabatangan River, before heading to Sepilok and the orangutans for a couple of days. A boat ride to the Turtle Islands once again before finally returning home to Ranau on Sunday night.

As if that wasn't enough, I'm packing her off on a climb up Mount Kinabalu on Monday morning. I myself will be too terrified back at work, so won't be joining her... 

So cross your fingers that we won't run out of fuel on one of the wildest roads in Sabah, or accidentally move into a shack on a pristine, palm-fringed beach, and I'll have Aurelia back to her nice safe job in Switzerland in no time at all ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment