Friday, February 10, 2012

Padi Scarecrows

The rice fields have been growing for some time now, getting taller and greener day-by-rainy-day, and they're just getting to the point where greedy birds are an issue. The farmers near me are amazingly inventive about keeping these scavengers away - there are black plastic bags strung up on wire, lovely homemade wooden windmills (which I haven't yet been able to photograph) and old t-shirts. I took this picture at dusk on my way back to town from the villages.


Some have made scarecrows - and they wear hats that I would scavenge, were there not family members living on-site to protect their plot.


On my way home from a relaxed walkabout on the mountain last weekend, I passed one that was bright and red and beautiful amongst the rich greenery - I wish my photos did it justice...



1 comment: